Select Page

The following series of posts contain articles posted at, featuring an interview with my colleague Kimberly Hegwood. If you have any questions or want to speak with me about these issues, please call me at 770-425-6060.


The person that you designated in your will can no
longer care for your children, however you have a younger brother, whom
you love to death, but you don't believe he’s mature enough to raise a
child (or has the financial means to do so). He thinks he’d make a
great dad and you know he’d be the first to offer. What do you do to
protect your children as well as avoid hurt feelings? 

You can avoid this by updating your will regularly and keeping an open
channel of communication with the potential guardian. If you do not
want your brother as a guardian then you need to put that in writing.
The court will not allow you to set up hurdles that a guardian must
meet after you die.

As for hurt feelings, remember you should always
put your children’s best interest above all others. But it will be
important for your brother to continue his role as an uncle and stay
involved with your children so discuss this with a potential guardian.
Try writing him a letter that he will receive at your death, explaining
your thoughts and how you would love him to be there for your kids as
an uncle.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This